LINDSEY, THERESE KAYSER (1870–1957). Therese Kayser Lindsey, writer, was born in Chappell Hill, Texas, in 1870, the daughter of Albert and Mary (Lawrence) Kayser. She received her education in the Tyler public schools and at what is now Texas State University, with additional studies at the University of Chicago, Harvard University, and Columbia University. In 1892 she married Sam A. Lindsey. She traveled extensively in America and Europe, although she resided in Tyler for many years.
She wrote poems, stories, and plays and received a number of awards for her work. Two of her books, Blue Norther (1925) and The Cardinal Flower (1934), contained lyrics dealing mainly with Texas and nature. A third volume, A Tale of the Galveston Storm (1936), was a long narrative poem based on a true incident of the Galveston hurricane of 1900. She also published Collected Poems (1947). As a member of poetry societies in America and England, Mrs. Lindsey initiated the movement that resulted in the formation of the Poetry Society of Texas,qv and she served as the society's first corresponding secretary and subsequently as vice president. She was also donor of the "Old South Prize," one of the society's major annual awards. She died in Tyler on April 3, 1957, and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery in that city.
Sam Hanna Acheson, Herbert P. Gambrell, Mary Carter Toomey, and Alex M. Acheson, Jr., Texian Who's Who, Vol. 1 (Dallas: Texian, 1937). Florence Elberta Barns, Texas Writers of Today (Dallas: Tardy, 1935). Dallas Morning News, April 4, 1957. Mabel Major and T. M. Pearce, eds., Signature of the Sun: Southwest Verse, 1900–1950 (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1950). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William E. Bard, "ADAMS, WALTER R.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fad08), accessed March 19, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.